Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tennessee/Pearl

Last month, my oldest daughter and I attended a public screening of the award-winning documentary "A Man Named Pearl" at the old UT Alumni Gym (where I once saw U2 opening for the J. Geils Band- no lie). The film chronicles the story of Pearl Fryar, a gentleman from Bishopville, South Carolina who has developed over the years, from an abandoned plot of land and discarded shrubs and trees from local lawn and garden stores, a topiary garden that is so astounding it draws visitors from all over the country. I'd seen the film when it was released last summer, but tonight was special, as I got to watch it both with my daughter and with my extremely cool cousin Steve Anderson. Steve was the director of photography for the project, and it was a real honor to get share such a special night with he and his family. Pearl Fryar himself was on hand, and my daughter was a little star-struck as Steve introduced us.

Steve is a gifted photographer and cinematographer, and has contributed to a number of well-known series and documentaries throughout the years. USA Today has called his work on such projects as the America's Castles series on A&E "sumptuous".

It was therefore interesting to watch Steve tonight during the screening- his passion for the project and for the story itself was undeniable. I also couldn't help thinking that maybe Steve identifies with Pearl Fryar on a somewhat deeper level. After all, both men's passions lie in creating something that's both beautiful and enduring; and all of us are ultimately the better for it.